The gold-domed Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was built in the early 20th century in memory of the 200,000 Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian and Bulgarian soldiers, who died in the Russo-Turkish War, 1877–1878. It is one of the largest Eastern Orthodox cathedrals in the world. The cathedral’s gold-plated dome is 45 m high, with the bell tower reaching 50.52 m.
The National Palace of Culture abbreviated in Bulgarian as NDK is the largest multifunctional congress, conference, convention and exhibition center in Southeastern Europe.
The Central Military Club in Sofia is among the masterpieces of the Bulgarian early 20th-century architecture, which still adorns the city centre of Bulgaria’s capital city. It is one of the earliest monumental buildings erected after the re-establishment of the Bulgarian state after centuries of Ottoman government.
The Central Synagogue of Sofia has justly been described as the pride of all Bulgarian Jewry. It has symbolized the Jewish community of Bulgaria for almost a century. It is the second largest Sephardic (Spanish-Jewish) synagogue in Europe.
The Yablanski House is a Neo-Baroque house in Sofia, situated at 18 Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd. in the city centre and regarded as one of the highest achievements of the city’s architecture in the first decade of the 20th century.
Sveta Nedelya sq. is being considered the center of Sofia city. The church Sveta Nedelya lies directly above the ancient crossroads of Serdica (Sofia’s previous name).
The National Assembly of Bulgaria was established in 1879 with the Constitution of Bulgaria.
Once there were 70 mosques in Sofia, but today the Banya Bashi Mosque is the only one still functioning. It was designed in 1576, by the greatest of all Ottoman architects, Mimar Sinan, who also built the Sultan Selim Mosque in Edirne and the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.
The Cathedral of St Joseph is located at 300 meters away from the center of Sofiacity. It is a Roman Catholic cathedral and actually a co-cathedral of the Diocese of Sofia and Plovdiv, together with the Cathedral of St Louis in Plovdiv.
The Central Sofia Market Hall is a covered market in the center of Sofia city, on Maria Louise Blvd. also known as Halite or Tsentralni Hali. It was opened back in 1911 and today is an one of the strategic shopping locations in the city.
The pedestrian bridge in the city center next to National palace of Culture has actually no name, but has always been known as The Bridge of the Lovers. That is because it was commonly used place for meetings of young people in love.
Behind the TZUM shopping mall there are a number of interesting historical sites, one of these being the Central Mineral Bath. With its colorful ceramic mosaics on the facades, it is a landmark in the center of Sofia.
Lions’ Bridge in Sofia (also known as “Lavov Most”) is the bridge over Vladaya River in Sofia, Bulgaria. It is located at the junction of Maria Louise and Slivnitsa Boulevards, and derives its name from the four prominent lions made of bronze at each end of the bridge.
After entering Sofia from the East side by Tsarigradsko Shose Blvd (you use that boulevard also when you arrive at the airport), Eagle’s Bridge is the first crossing you have to stop at. Тhe Eagles’ Bridge [Orlov Most] is one … Continued
Vitosha Mountain TV Tower, is located at Kopitoto (The Hoof) locality on a 1348 m tall rock outcrop. The TV tower itself is a 186 meter tall built of reinforced concrete on Vitosha Mountain near Sofia, Bulgaria. It is the second tallest television tower in Bulgaria.
The Borisova Gradina TV Tower or the Old TV Tower is a 106-meter tall including the aerial. It is located in the Boris’ Garden in Sofia. It is known as the tower used for the first Bulgarian National Television broadcasts in 1959.