In the history of modern Bulgarian State, the functions of head of State have been performed by a monarch, a Regency Council and, later on, by collegial bodies like a Presidium of the National Assembly and a State Council. The institution of President of the Republic has a relatively recent history and is associated with Bulgaria’s transition to democracy and with the new structuring of institutions within the context of this transition.
The edifice of the Palace of Justice, being among the most remarkable buildings downtown in the city of Sofia, is situated in the beginning of the pivotal boulevard named “Vitosha”.
The Council of Ministers building is where the Bulgarian government meets every week and where the Bulgarian prime-minister is working. The prime-minister office’s windows are facing the Presidency which outstands on 100 meters from the Government building.
The former Communist Party House /Bulgarian: Partien Dom/ is now used by the National Assembly of Bulgaria. Today the building is mainly used as Government offices and the splendid Sofia Hall is occasionally used for charity concerts.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is an institution in the central state administration that carries out the foreign policy of the Republic of Bulgaria.
The activities of the Ministry are based on the Constitution and the laws of the country and are in accordance with the principles and norms of international law and the international treaties to which the Republic of Bulgaria is a party.
Inaugurated in 2003 the Congress center completed the possibilities of the exhibition complex Inter Expo Center in Sofia for providing the business and public with professional conditions for exhibition participation as well as for organising different types of meetings and forums – congresses, conferences, pressconferences, general meetings, symposia, seminars, presentations, trainings, companies’ celebrations etc.
The Bulgarian National Bank is one of the oldest national institutions established right after the restoration of the Bulgarian state, on January 25, 1879, and on 6 of June of the same year the first banking operation was conducted.
The National Assembly of Bulgaria was established in 1879 with the Constitution of Bulgaria.
Being the highest military administrative institution in Bulgaria, the Ministry of Defence was tasked to protect the state sovereignty and national independence, to guard and defend the territorial integrity of the country, and to uphold the interests of the society of Bulgaria and our national identity.
The setting up of the police institution in Bulgaria started with the adoption of the Constitution of Tarnovo on 16 April 1879. By Decree No. 1 of 5 July 1879 issued by Prince Alexander I, the Ministry of Internal Affairs was set up as part of the first Bulgarian government. Mr. Todor Bourmov was appointed the first Bulgarian Minister of Interior.
The Bulgarian main astronomical point of triangulation was built in 1920 by the Geography institute at the Ministry of War. The geography longitude was determined in 1930 by the prominent Bulgarian scientist academic Vladimir Hristov by simultaneous observations with the geodesic institute in Potsdam. In 1957-58 the point was connected with the main astronomical points of triangulation of Poland, Romania and Hungary.
The largest court in Bulgaria is located near the Roman Wall and the National Architecture University. The court is run by a chairman with five vice-chairmen. A total of total of 138 judges, divided into four divisions – one criminal and three civil divisions. The administration of the court consists of 460 clerks and includes legal secretaries, court clerks, court archivists, janitors, messengers and others.